Marcelo Gallardo was considered by the FIFA as one of last season’s best coaches and will compete for The Best FIFA Award for most outstanding manager against other nine colleagues. His fellow countrymen Mauricio Pochettino and Ricardo Gareca are also candidates.
The ten candidates were announced a few hours ago on social networks and the award winner will be revealed on Monday, September 23rd at La Scala Theatre in Milan, Italy.
El Millionario’s manager gained recognition during the 2018/19 season after the historic victory against Boca in the CONMEBOL Libertadores final, whose final leg was at Santiago Bernabéu Stadium in Madrid. Besides, he claimed the CONMEBOL Recopa title after beating Atlético Paranaense. In total, he has won 10 titles in five years as River’s manager.
Besides, he has just been voted as South America’s 2018 best manager, after getting 87% of the votes in the traditional survey carried out by the Uruguay newspaper, El País.
THE TEN CANDIDATES
• Djamel Belmadi (Argelia National Team)
• Didier Deschamps (France National Team)
• Marcelo Gallardo (River Plate, Argentina)
• Ricardo Gareca (Peru National Team)
• Josep Guardiola (Manchester City, England)
• Jurgen Klopp (Liverpool, England)
• Mauricio Pochettino (Tottenham, England)
• Fernando Santos (Portugal National Team)
• Erik ten Hag (Ajax, the Netherlands)
• Tite (Brazil National Team)